Tuesday, May 31, 2011

what I'm reading

I got a Barnes & Noble Nook. So I've been downloading a lot of classics for free - Dostoyevsky, Darwin, Muir. Maybe I'll even read Pride and Prejudice if I get bored. The only book I've bought so far was Rob Bell's Love Wins for $10.99.

I use Facebook's Visual Bookshelf app to keep track of past, present, and possible reads. My lifelong goal is to eventually read 1,000 books. I've got 252 so far (if my memory serves me right - I added a bunch of titles from my sustained middle school reading-spree).  In 2009, I read 66 books and 14,700 pages and worked through a lot of good titles. I doubt I'll ever hit that yearly number again until I retire, so it will probably take me a few decades to hit the mil. But whenever I want to go on a book buying spree, I pull out my "want to read" list and go crazy.

Anyway, I wanted to list some of the recent titles that in some way touch religion/spirituality (Sawyer House Clergy). Sorry, I don't have time for reviews:

*Orthodoxy (Chesterton)
*Love Wins (Rob Bell)
*Desire of Everlasting Hills: The World Before and After Jesus (Thomas Cahill, recommended in an older Rob Bell book)
*The Preservationist (David Maine) great fictional take on the Flood story
*The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity (Soong-chan Rah)
*Living Mission: The Vision and Voices of New Friars (various)
*A Spirituality of the Road (David Bosch) on missions
*A New Kind of Christianity (Brian McLaren)
*Pilgrimage of a Soul (Phileena Heuertz)  by our co-executive director
*God After Darwin: A Theology of Evolution (John F. Haught)
*Reconciliation Blues: A Black Evangelical's Inside View of White Christianity (Edward Gilbreath)
*The Myth of a Christian Nation (Greg Boyd)
*The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture (Jonathon Wilson-Hartgrove)

No comments: